Thursday, April 11, 2013

Six So Very Different


    Since siblings is being honored, I thought I would share about me and my siblings. The good things and a few of the disappointments. I was fortunate to be raised in a large family and extended family. Seems we often had cousins drop in for the weekend and some would stay for a time. I love family visits even if it meant
someone had to sleep on the floor. Be thankful for those in your family. Love each one, they are a creation of God. If there is one you have a problem with remember to pray for them. God is the healer of all hurts. You never know what may happen tomorrow and they will no longer be with you. Love them while you can.



                                                         Six So very Different

     Six of us kids in the family. We were all so very different. Phyllis, the oldest, I believe took more after her mothers family than dad's. She has a gentle calmness that reminded me of her grandma Cooper. Even though she was not my grandma, I still claimed her. It was fun to stop and visit at her home. Phyllis does not like clutter. Don't leave anything unattended for long, it will be gone. Her home seemed to always be spotless. Likes the outdoors and being with family and friends. Could make anything at a sewing machine. She made many of her daughter Denya's outfits and things for the house. My dear sister even made my wedding gown. Denya has given her four grand daughters and now her first great grand son. Brent lives is the house across the street from Phyllis, where he grew up.
     James was more like mom. Rarely showed his emotions. He often told me, just ignore the hurtful things, keep peace in the family. He was the one that was always there for me. Seldom was he angry, when he was, you had better listen. When he was hurt, he hurt deeply, but never let the offender see it. If unjustly accused, he would prove you wrong about him. He enjoyed teasing but was never mean or cruel. Loved to cook, was at his best with a BBQ grill. At his death he left behind children, grand children and great grand children. They will miss out getting to know a wonderful man that loved all of them deeply. I miss him very much.
     Kenny is more like dad. Both quick to make judgement calls. Don't tell him he can't do something, he will get it done. Determined to do his best with whatever he sets out to do. Very loyal to those he loves. Hard to gain his acceptance, yet few see that in him. A very good auctioneer. Loves the outdoors and horses. Was active with both of his kids in rodeos. Truly enjoys watching his grand kids ride now. They are all involved in riding and rodeos. Sadly Kenny and I have never been close. We have both lost out getting to know each others family.
     Linda was soft spoken like mom.Seldom did she show her anger. She carried a lot of heartaches later in her life. Linda could not handle rejection and often dealt with it in the wrong way. Could be sneaky when she wanted to be. Because Linda was so small, mom never let her grow up but treated her like a little girl all her life. Mom never knew how much Linda resented that. She was a hard worker and most of her life she cared for the needs of others. We were close growing up, despite the difference mom made in us. Her health issues put a strain on all of her relationships and it finely claimed her life. Linda left behind two wonderful daughters. Now there are three grand sons and two grand daughters. As twins we had a very special bond and there are so many wonderful memories of her. I still miss her.
     Becky, now she was the rebel, still is to a degree. At times quick tempered. More like dad and Kenny. Don't tell her no, she will do what she wants. Stood her ground with dad. Mom would just shake her head when they would start to argue. She often thought Becky just liked to argue with him. If mom didn't approve of what Becky wore, she would wear it anyway. Becky has always loved animals. Was the first and only one of the kids allowed to have a pet in the house, other than a bird. Mad a pet of every animal that came near her, horses, cows, a lama, rabbit, cats and of course dogs. Becky has an amazing son and daughter.
     Me (Brenda), mom once told me she expected me to become the family peace keeper. Was upset when I didn't return to Dexter to live. Rarely do I get angry, deal with it before I speak. Like mom and James I hurt deeply but rarely show it. Forgive quickly and hold no grudges. I'm accepting of others and loyal to those closest to me. Love to laugh and enjoy life. Love to write about God's Amazing Grace in my life. As I'm getting older, I speak up when I need to and it is important, yet still working at it. I have two amazing son, gifts I know that came from God. One grandson Jonah and a grand daughter to be born in June 2013.
     There is over twenty two years difference between Phyllis and Becky, mom said, it was like raising three families. Yet for the most part we grew up a close family. For many years we all lived close to one another and many of us worked together in the family business. Phyllis and Kenny like a lot of the same things. Worked together at different jobs. Both love to be with family and friends and love camping in trailers, not tents.
     James and I were buddies and I can't remember a time in my life when we were not close. His death was very hard for me. We always knew we could count on one another. When all the family was together, we both felt like outsiders. Just didn't seem to fit in with everyone.
     Linda and Becky, they fit with everyone. Linda and I were always close growing up, even though we were treated so very differently. She was the little girl and I was expected to be more grown up and look after her. We both resented being put in that position. Becky probably is the one that is close to all of us. She grew up with all the different ages and was able to make a connection with each one. Becky and I have been close most of her life. I often ran interference for her with mom. We have shared a lot of heartaches together over the years.
     Growing up we had a good home, even though dysfunctional, with lots of love. You learned to accept one another and over look the little irritations that happen in most families. God's grace was always there but we never took the time to notice. God did not have an important place in our lives. I am thankful that today I can look back and see God's grace watching over me and going before me through my life.I love all my siblings and proud of what each of them has accomplished in their lives.





(c) Copyright 2013  All rights reserved

   

No comments:

Post a Comment