Monday, February 11, 2013

MOM and Dad


     Valentines day is only a few days away. How many of us know unconditional love? If we are lucky there is someone in our lives that does love us unconditionally, it could be a spouse, a child, brother, sister or a special friend. Growing up I was fortunate to have an older brother, James, he never put conditions on loving me. Always wanted to know my side in any situation. He has been gone almost 5 years now and I still miss him very much.
     There is someone that loves everyone of us totally and unconditionally. Our Lord Jesus Christ, loved us enough that he died for each one of us. His sacrifice of death will never be equaled.
     I thought about my mom and dad, before my dad died, he gave my mother the only letter he ever wrote to her. She never knew until then that he had come to love her. She never stopped praying for him and saw him give his life to God and was baptized before he died. Unconditional love, mom put no conditions on dad, but accepted him with all his faults.  They were both wonderful parents even with their faults and I will always be thankful for the lessons I learned from them.



                                                        MOM AND DAD


     Growing up I don't remember seeing mom and dad show a lot of affection to one another. No hugs or kisses were displayed. They also never argued in front of the kids. It was hard to learn what affection and love looked like. They always went out to the Hickory House to eat on Saturday night, their time away from the kids.
     After dad passed away in 1995, mom shared with me about their relationship. She always knew about dad's affairs. She insisted on going out on Saturday night, that was her way of saying to other women, he may spend time with you, but I am the one he will take out in public.
     Dad came to the house when James was very young, there was a lady and a little boy in the car. Dad asked for a divorce. Moms answer, there will be no divorce, we have a family to raise. It was never mentioned again and mom never knew who the woman and child were.
     It was late in dads life before he became a christian. Before he died, he gave mom the only letter he ever wrote to her. Mom gave me that letter after he passed away. I'm not sure that any of the family has ever seen the letter. I keep it in my bible.
     It read. "To my wife, I have had 65 years living with you. It has been good, I have enjoyed each day. I don't think I would have ever found anyone I would have loved as much as you. I know the time is coming to an end before long but we'll meet again. Let us try to enjoy the balance of time we have left together. With  love James Carney
     Mom cherished that letter. Said it was the first time she knew beyond a doubt that he had fallen in love with her. So much love and affection they could have shared together throughout the years, but was sadly wasted. There was peace and love in their marriage, yet it was rarely shown. I'm thankful that mom shared with me the secrets that were hidden in her heart. In her last years with her memory failing, we found a closeness we had never known.


      Be sure you tell the special people in your life that you love them. Don't waste the time you have together. Life is to short, I LOVE YOU, three simple little words but they can change the world. Happy Valentines Day, I Love You,  to all those special people in my life.



(c) Copyrights 2013 all rights reserved







.




No comments:

Post a Comment